Old Stone House
Ramsey Historical Association
538 Island Rd.
Map / Directions to the Old Stone House
The Old Stone House is maintained and operated
Ramsey Historical Association.
See their website for upcoming events.
This house was built in the early 1700's, and so was here during the Revolutionary War when so much war-related activity occurred in the areas around here in Bergen County. At that time, the house was used as a tavern. The historic sign in front describes the building's history, including the legend that Aaron Burr may have stopped here when traveling to the Hermitage, the home where he married Theodosia Prevost.  The Hermitage is located about six-and-a-half miles from here in Ho-Ho-Kus.
Aaron Burr served as a colonel in the Revolutionary War, and later as the country's third vice president. He had many connections to New Jersey: 
• He was born in Newark in 1756.
• He attended the Old Presbyterian Academy in Elizabeth and Princeton University.
• He was married at the Hermitage in Ho-Ho-Kus on July 2, 1782.
• He mortally wounded Alexander Hamilton in their 1804 duel in Weehawken.
• He was buried in Princeton Cemetery when he died in 1836.