Bogert's Mill Site
Mill St. and 1st Ave.
Map / Directions to Bogert's Mill Site
In early October 1780, General George Washington and his troops were encamped in Tappan, New York. They left Tappan on October 6, heading for what is now Totowa. The following day, they stopped near here on Musquapsink Brook. They arrived at Totowa on the 9th, where they would remain until November 27; During that time, Washington made his headquarters several miles away at Dey Mansion in Wayne.
This was the site of the earliest grist mill in this area, built by Reverend Johannes Bernardus Van Dieren before 1734. (A grist mill is used to grind grain into flour.) It was known as Bogert's Mill because it was purchased by Isaac Bogert in 1765, and remained in his family until 1910, when it was destroyed by fire. 
A few feet from the sign is an entrance which leads to a wooden bridge footpath across the water.
1. ^ Information about Washington's troops stopping here, and about the grist mill, was drawn from the Bergen County Historical Society sign.
• Washington's correspondence in early October 1780 is marked " Tappan" or "Head-Quarters, Tappan."
In a letter to General Nathanael Greene written from Tappan on October 6, Washington states that the army would march the following day.
A letter he sent the next day, October 7, to the President of Congress is marked "Paramus," which places him in this area on that day.
▸ Some of Washington's letters from this period can be found in:
George Washington; Edited by Jared Sparks, The Writings of George Washington Volume 7 (Boston: Russell, Odiorne, and Metcalf; and Hilliard Gray and Co. 1835) p. 223- 237
Available to be read at Google Books here