Solitude House 
Solitude House was part of the property of the Union Iron Works. During the Revolutionary War era, Robert Taylor occupied the house. Taylor originally worked as a bookkeeper for the owners of Union Iron Works, Joseph Turner and William Allen. When the Revolutionary War began, Turner and Allen had to flee their property because they were Loyalists. (Loyalists were Americans who remained loyal to the British in the Revolutionary War.) With the Loyalist owners gone, Taylor became the superintendent of Union Iron Works.
In the decades before the war, Union Iron Works had produced such items as horseshoes, farm tools, and fireplace backs. With the coming of the war, the iron works became very important to the military effort because of the production of such items as cannon balls and rifle barrels.
Two Loyalists were imprisoned at Solitude House, John Penn, who had served as the last royal governor of Pennsylvania, and his Chief Justice Benjamin Chew. They remained here for seven months beginning in 1777. 
Among the Revolutionary War figures who visited Solitude House are George and Martha Washington, General Lafayette, Colonel Charles Stewart, and Aaron Burr.
The oldest portions of the house were built in 1712. Three decades later, it became part of the property of the Union Iron Works, and it doubled in size in 1755. In the 1850's, major remodeling was done to the house, and it took on the look that it has today.
Robert Taylor's descendants continued to live at Solitude House and run the iron mines into the twentieth century. In 1803, the Union Iron Works became The Taylor Iron and Steel Company.
Solitude House is located on part of the seven-mile Taylor Steelworks Historical Greenway. There are a number of explanatory signs and plaques, and other buildings located along the trail.
There are also two small monuments in High Bridge related to the iron works which are shown in the two entries below. Two other historic sites related to the Union Iron Works are shown on the Hampton and Clinton pages.