During the 1770's British Loyalists (who were known as Tories) met in this area, and it became known as Tory Corner.
A monument at intersection of Main Street and Washington street tells the story:
"Here in the 1770's in this area called Williamstown lived brothers Nathaniel and Benjamin Williams, prosperous farmers and operators of a saw and grist mill. As the Revolution approached, their loyalist views attracted people of similar sentiments who congregated at this intersection and it became known as Tory Corner.
"Mary WIlliams, wife of Nathaniel, did not accompany her husband to join the King's forces in 1777, but chose to tend the family farm and assist the cause of liberty. She kept and maintained the Williams' Property and her community and personal ties were able to withstand the strains of the Revolution." 
1.^ Full and Exact text of monument placed by the Charles Edison Fund and the Tory Corner Business Association
Revolutionary War New Jersey
An online guide to discovering the role of New Jersey in the Revolutionary War and the nation's founding.
West Orange New Jersey Revolutionary War Sites • West Orange New Jersey Historic Sites
Tory Corner Monument